Subject: Third AMAST International Workshop on Real-Time Systems

From: Dan Ionescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 1995 11:07:04 -0500

Dear Potential Participant:

The Third AMAST International Workshop on Real-Time Systems, to be
held on 6-8 March 1995 in Salt City, Utah, is a continuation of the
previous AMAST conferences and workshops, and has the following goals:

(1) Provide a forum for the theoreticians and practitioners of
real-time systems to continue their dialog on the suitability of
algebraic and logic models for real-time system development.
The focus should be on system properties and their impact on
system synthesis.

(2) Evaluate accomplishments and provide new directions towards
a unifying approach for real-time system development within the
framework provided by the system theory.

(3) Accelerate the integration of the real-time system development
within the software technology currently under development using
algebraic, logic, and system methodologies.

The direct product of this meeting will be a new volume on using
algebraic, logic, and system methodologies for real-time program
development to be published by the AMAST Series in Computing.
The best papers presented at this workshop will be published in
Theoretical Computer Science.

To help accelerate the organizational matters, please
answer the questionnaire attached to the enclosed call for papers
as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Dan Ionescu

********************************************************************************

                  PRELIMINARY ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR PAPERS

                    Third AMAST Workshop on Real-Time Systems

                         Models, Properties and Control
                         ______________________________

                    March 6-8,1996, Salt-Lake City, Utah (USA)

Goals

Preceded by other two successful workshops which launched a valuable
initiative in the area of real-time systems, the 3rd AMAST Workshop on
on Real-Time Systems has as its major goal the promotion of further
developments on mathematical foundations of real-time systems. It will
bring together mathematicians, computer scientists, and control engineers
to evaluate previous achievements and to give new directions for
further accomplishments.

 Real-time systems are usually designed by control engineers (analog,
computer controlled loops, automata, etc.) and their implementations are
performed by software engineers. Examples of such systems are
found in many areas such as: communications networks, computer
communications, distributed control systems, manufacturing, network
management, etc. The theoretical investigation of real-time systems,
however, has still not reached maturity. There are many disparate
efforts towards the development of a real-time system methodology,
pursued by various authors that follow various directions in their
research. But the variety of approaches is not conducive to the
development of a unifying methodology. Consequently, designers
still keep a certain distance from the theoretical approaches described
in the literature. Thus, abstract and formal methods, although providing
very versatile and strong tools, are applied mostly by academics.

  It is the aim of the third AMAST Workshop on Real-Time Systems to
launch a challenge for the development of unified approaches in
modeling, designing, and implementing real-time systems. To do so,
the organizers seek to bring together top researchers on real-time
systems from all areas of interest, control theory, computer science, and
mathematics.

  As in all AMAST conferences and workshops, particular emphasis will
be given to algebraic and logical foundations of software technology.
Our final goal is to show that algebraic and logical methodology
provides a practically viable and attractive alternative to the
current approaches to software engineering in real-time systems. We are
also convinced that the systemic approach  will bring a solid foundation
and maturity to the concepts understanding the software design and
development process.

Venue

  The Third AMAST Workshop on Real-Time Systems will be held in the
wonderful ski-resort, Salt Lake City of Utah, during March 6-8, 1996.

Topics

  The previous editions of AMAST Workshops on Real-Time Systems were
held at the University of Iowa (1993) and at the Centre Condorcet of
University of Bordeaux, France (1995). During the previous two meetings
the main emphasis was on models for real-time and concurrent systems
and their verification, while at the third AMAST workshop the emphasis
will be on control properties and synthesis procedures. The topics
of interest include, but are not limited to:

1. ALGEBRAIC AND LOGIC MODELS FOR REAL-TIME SYSTEMS:

 o  algebraic models, relation algebra
 o  automata and formal languages used in modeling of real-time systems
 o  frameworks for modeling real-time systems: linear and modal logics
 o  category theory as a unified approach to modeling real-time systems
 o  object-oriented models

2.  REAL-TIME SYSTEMS PROPERTIES:

 o   reachability
 o   observability
 o   controllability
 o   stability

3.  SYNTHESIS ASPECTS:

 o   composition-decomposition
 o   supervision, supervisors, and their design
 o   hierarchical control of real-time systems
 o   optimal control of real-time systems

  To keep with the AMAST tradition, we promote the
co-operative efforts between researchers on all continents, America,
Asia, Australia, and Europe, and challenge them to participate to
the workshop, and to bring it to a truly world-wide dialog.

Submissions

Prospective authors are invited to submit 6 copies of a high
quality paper, restricted to at most 15 double spaced pages.
The paper should provide adequate information for the reviewers to
assess its significance and impact on the foundations of real-time
systems and on software technology. The paper should not be published
or under publication review elsewhere. We also solicit submissions
of system demonstrations showing the improved effectiveness of
software developed on a sound mathematical basis. All papers will be
refereed by the program committee and will be judged based on their
significance, technical merit, and relevance to the workshop.

  Submissions (both papers and system demo proposals) must be sent to
the program chair at the address below.

        Aurel Cornell
        Third International AMAST Workshop on Real-Time Systems
        Program Chair
        Department of Computer Science
        230 TMCB Brigham Young University
        Provo, Utah 84602
        USA
        Phone:  (801) 378-3027
        Fax:    (801)
        e-mail: [email-masked]

General Chair: Maurice Nivat (France)
Program Chair: Aurel Cornell (USA)

Program Committee (Preliminary):

Aurel Cornell (Brigham Young U., Utah, USA)
Didier Begay (U. of Bordeaux, F)
Dan Ionescu (U. of Ottawa, Canada)
Stephane Lafortune (U. of Michigan, USA)
Luigi Logrippo (U. of Ottawa, Canada)
Nancy Lynch (MIT, USA)
George Milne (U. of South Australia, AUS)
Maurice Nivat (LITP, Paris)
Jonathan Ostroff (York U., Canada)
Charles Rattray (Stirling U., UK)
Teodor Rus (U. of Iowa, USA)
Giuseppe Scollo (U. of Twente, NL)
John Thistle (Ecole Polyt. Montreal, Canada)
M. Wonham (U. of Toronto, Canada)

Organizing Committee: (Preliminary)

Chair: Dan Ionescu (Canada) [email-masked]
Publicity Chair: C. Rattray (UK)
T. Rus (USA), G. Scollo (NL)

Important dates:

   Paper submission:            October 15, 1995
   System demo proposals:       November 15, 1995
   Notification of acceptance:  December 1, 1995
   Camera-ready version:        January 15, 1996
   Conference days:             March 6-8, 1996

About Salt Lake City

  Salt Lake City  is renowned for its location in the middle of the
Rocky Mountains. The workshop will take place at the Red Lion Hotel,
which is 15 minutes from the Salt Lake City International Airport.
Complimentary shuttle-busses are offered by the hotel. In addition,
the hotel is located in the heart of downtown Salt Lake City, which
offers a wide variety of activities for the attendees. Moreover, the
hotel is less than forty five minutes drive to seven world-class ski
areas, including Park City, Deer Valley, Wolf Mountain, Snowbird,
Alta, Brighton and Solitude. From the cultural viewpoint, the hotel
is at a walking distance and only minutes from Historic Temple Square,
the Delta Center and the home of the NBA Utah Jazz, Pioneer Memorial
Museum, Symphony Hall, the Crossroads Shopping Mall and many other
points of interest.

********************************************************************************
--------------------- cut here ----------------------------------------

               >>>    AMAST RTW '96 PRE-REGISTRATION FORM    <<<

Please, return the completed form as soon as possible to

 [email-masked]

Surname:
Given name(s):
Title:
Company/Institution:
Mailing address:
Zip:
City:
Country:
E-mail:
Phone:
Fax:
Personal WWW Home Page:
WWW:
Gopher:
FTP:

Please, edit 'YES' and 'NO' as appropriate:

 ---  I wish to receive ... hard copies of the call for papers

 ---  I wish to receive ... copies
          of the program brochure with registration form.

 ---  I intend to participate in the AMAST RTW'96

 ---  I intend to submit a paper:
       Provisional Title:
       Name(s) of Author(s):

 ---  I suggest further announcements also be sent to:

__________________________________________________________________

********************************************************************************
NOTE: The full version of this _Call for Papers_ is available at URL:
   http://www.cs.utwente.nl/data/amast/links/v02/i06/full/AC0206C2.txt
********************************************************************************

===============================================================================
Prof. Dan Ionescu                           Tel: (613)-562-5800 x 6209,or 6232
Room A513, Colonel By Hall                  FAX: (613)-562-5175
770 King Edward Avenue                   e-mail: [email-masked]
Department of Electrical Engineering         or: [email-masked]
University of Ottawa                         or:[email-masked]
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA  K1N 6N5             or:[email-masked]
============================================================================
===