Subject: Call for Contributions

From: [email-masked] (Alper Sen)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 12:14:50 +0400 (GMT+3:00)

Dear COST 247 Participant,

Below please find the "Call for Contributions" for the 
Special Issue of Science of Computer Programming. It is
prepared in latex format by Jan Friso Groote (WG2 Chairperson).
The postscript format is also available upon request ([email-masked]).

I would appreciate if you could post it in your institute and 
forward to anybody you think it is related. Thanks in advance
and my best regards.

Husnu Yenigun               
COST 247 External Secretary
                                       Postal address : 
                                       --------------------------
Phone : +90 312 210 12 98              TUBITAK Software R&D Center
e-mail: [email-masked]         METU Computer Eng. Dept. Z-34
Fax   : +90 312 210 14 11              Ankara 06531 Turkey

-------------------------------------------------------------------
CALL FOR CONTRIBUTIONS for a Special Issue of Science of Computer
Programming. Topic: 

 Industrially relevant applications of formal analysis techniques.

Deadline for submission: November 1, 1995.
Editors: J.F. Groote ([email-masked]) and M. Rem ([email-masked]).
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Detailed information can be found in the enclosed latex file below.
A postscript version is available upon request ([email-masked]).

\documentstyle[twocolumn,11pt]{article}
\input{amssym.def}
\input{amssym}
\textwidth 15.5cm
\textheight 18cm
\parindent 10pt
\oddsidemargin 0.5cm
\evensidemargin 0.5cm
\title{{
~~~\vspace{-14ex}\\
\large Special Issue of Science of Computer Programming}
\vspace{2ex}\\
{{\Huge\sf Industrially Relevant Applications of}\\
{\Huge\sf Formal Analysis Techniques}}
\vspace{2ex}\\
{\large\bf Call for Contributions}
\vspace{-2ex}}
\author{}
\date{}
\maketitle
\begin{document}
\noindent%
\thispagestyle{empty}%
Formal analysis techniques are currently being applied in the design, 
development and assessment phases of both hardware and software.
Generally, such applications do not get widespread attention, and 
therefore, the impression can come into existence that formal
techniques are not being applied, or are not applicable
to contemporary industrial problems.

In order to remedy this impression, {\sl Science of Computer
Programming} will in cooperation with the COST 247 project
devote a special issue to applications of formal analysis techniques. 
Typically, contributions explain the application of the techniques
to obtain insight in the functioning of systems, and assess the
industrial relevance of the application. This insight can, for
instance, be obtained by using (finite) state exploration tools, theorem 
provers or checkers, simulators or test generators. The insight can also be
obtained by applying verification theory, specifying
(modal) properties or transformation rules. The application of 
methods and techniques that enable the use of analysis techniques also
falls within the scope of this special issue.
This special issue is not intended for the presentation of new theory.

The length of contributions should not exceed approximately 20 pages. Each
article should contain the following points. A concise description of
the application. This description should be precise about the 
nature of the application, except if this is impossible due to e.g.,
non-disclosure agreements. A description of the essence of the
formal technique that is applied. The application of the technique
should be described, in such a way that it can be redone by a reader.
It is important that it is clear what the order of magnitude of the case
under study is; e.g., the number of states for a distributed system, 
the number of logical components for an integrated circuit or 
the length of code for a program.
In case it is possible, the application of the new techniques should
be compared with the traditional approach, especially in terms of
cost, efficiency and quality of the resulting product.

This special issue will be edited by J.F. Groote ([email-masked], 
Utrecht University)
and M.~Rem ([email-masked], Eindhoven University of Technology). 

Prospective contributors are requested to submit a postscript file of a
full paper to [email-masked]. It is also possible to send 3 copies 
to J.F.~Groote, Dept.\ of Philosophy, Utrecht University,
Heidelberglaan~8, 3584~CS Utrecht, The Netherlands. Contributors need
not be related to the COST 247 project.

The deadline for submission is {\bf November 1, 1995}. 
Authors will be notified
of (conditional) acceptance in Februari 1996. It is intended that the
special issue appears in the fall of 1996.

The journal {\sl Science of Computer Programming} is a bimonthly journal
published by Elsevier Science. The aim of this journal
is to serve as a forum between practice and theory of
computer programming. 

Cost 247 is a pan-European project on verification/validation and
testing of software using formal specification techniques. It is chaired
by prof.dr. K. Inan, METU, Ankara.
\end{document}