Subject: AMAST'96 Call for Papers

From: [email-masked] (Pippo Scollo)
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 1995 22:44:29 +0200

[With apologies if you receive the enclosed announcement more than once.

 G. Scollo
]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

			Call for Papers
		Fifth International Conference on
	Algebraic Methodology and Software Technology
	AMAST '96,  July 1-5,  1996,  Munich, Germany

Goals
The major goal of the AMAST Conferences is to put software
development technology on a firm, mathematical foundation.
Particular emphasis is given to algebraic and logical foundations
of software technology.  An eventual goal is to establish  
algebraic and logical methodology as a practically viable and
attractive alternative to the prevailing ad hoc approaches to
software engineering.

Previous meetings of AMAST were held at the University of Iowa
(1989 and 1991), the University of Twente (1993) and Concordia
University in Montreal (1995).  During these meetings, AMAST
has attracted an international spread of researchers and practitioners
interested in software technology, programming methodology and
their algebraic and logical foundations. In addition, the first
day of each conference has been dedicated to Mathematics Education
for Software Engineers.

Following this successful trend, the fifth AMAST International
Conference will be held at the Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitaet,
Munich, Germany, from July 1 to July 5, 1996.

Submissions
As in the previous years we invite papers reporting original research
in algebra and logic, suitable as a foundation for software technology,
as well as software technologies developed by means of logic and
algebraic methodologies. A special focus of AMAST 96 will be on
the use of mathematics-based formal methods to give support for
requirement analysis, formal specification, and design in  
industrial software development.
Submissions should not have been published and should not be under
consideration for publication elsewhere.  We also solicit submissions
of system demonstrations showing the improved effectiveness of
software developed on a mathematical basis.  Finally, a special
poster session will be devoted to student research papers.

The topics of interest include, but are not limited to, the following:

1. SOFTWARE TECHNOLOGY			
	systems software technology,
	application software technology,
	concurrent and reactive systems, 	
	formal methods in industrial software development,
	formal techniques for software requirements, design.
2. PROGRAMMING METHODOLOGY
	logic, functional, and object paradigms,
	constraint programming and concurrency,
	program verification and transformation,
	specification languages and tools,
	formal specification and development case studies.
3. ALGEBRAIC AND LOGICAL FOUNDATIONS
	logic, category theory, relation algebra,
	algebraic foundations for languages and systems,
	theorem proving and logical frameworks for reasoning,
	logics of program.
4. SYSTEMS AND TOOLS (for system demonstrations)
	software development environments,
	support for correct software development,
	system support for reuse,
	tools for prototyping,
	validation and verification,
	theorem proving systems.

We invite prospective authors to submit 6 copies of previously
unpublished papers of high quality (15 double spaced pages maximum
for papers and 4 double spaced pages maximum for system demo  
proposals) in an area relevant to the conference theme. Papers should  
provide adequate information for the reviewers to assess the
significance and anticipated impact on the foundations of software
technology.

All papers will be refereed by the program committee, and will be
judged based on their significance, technical merit, and relevance
to the conference. All submissions (both papers and system demo 
proposals) must be sent to the program chair at the address below;
papers must be received by November 15, 1995 and system demo
proposals must be received by December 15, 1995.

	Martin Wirsing
	AMAST'96 Program Chair
	Institut fuer Informatik
	Universitaet Muenchen
	Leopoldstr. 11B
	D-80802 Muenchen, Germany
	Phone: 	++49/89/ 2180-6317
	Fax:    ++49/89/ 2180-6310
	e-mail: [email-masked]

General Chair: Maurice Nivat (France).
	Program Chair: Martin Wirsing (Germany).
	
Program Committee:
Martin Abadi (USA), V.S. Alagar (Canada),
Egidio Astesiano (Italy), Didier Begay (France),
Gregor Bochmann (Canada), Chris Brink (South Africa),
Bruno Buchberger (Austria), Kokichi Futatsugi (Japan),
Harald Ganzinger (Germany), Nicolas Halbwachs (France),
Armando Haeberer (Brazil), Yasuyoshi Inagaki (Japan),
Paola Inverardi (Italy), Mike Johnson (Australia),
Helene Kirchner (France), Tom Maibaum (Great Britain),
Jan Maluscinsky (Sweden), Jose Meseguer (USA),
Peter Mosses (Denmark), Rocco De Nicola (Italy),
Anton Nijholt (Netherlands), Fernando Orejas (Spain),
R. Ramanujam (India), Charles Rattray (Great Britain),
Teodor Rus (USA), Giuseppe Scollo (Netherlands),
R.K.Shyamasundar (India), Andrzej Tarlecki (Poland),
Herbert Weber (Germany).

Organizing Committee:
Chair and Finances: Martin Wirsing
Tools and Demos: Christian Baur (Germany)
Publicity: Charles Rattray (UK), V.S. Alagar (Canada),
Michel Bidoit (France), Jacques Printz (France),
Teodor Rus (USA), Giuseppe Scollo (The Netherlands).

Local Arrangements: Rolf Hennicker, Marianne Diem

Invited Speakers
To achieve the goal of the conference we aim to provide a forum
in which leading researchers in mathematics, computer science,
and software development will come together to identify algebraic
and logical methodologies that are applicable as viable
alternatives to the present software development approaches and to
discuss the appropriateness of such alternatives with a view to
implementation. Invited speakers, with a tentative indication of
the topic areas, include
	Manfred Broy (Programming Methodology),
	Jose Fiadeiro  (Algebraic and Logical Foundations),
	Doug Smith (Software Development)

Important Dates:
Submission of Papers: November 15, 1995
Submission of System Demo Proposals: December 15, 1995
Submission of Student Research Papers: June 1, 1996
Notification of Acceptance/Rejection: February 1, 1996
Camera-ready Version of Accepted Papers: March 15, 1996
Education Day:	July 1, 1996
Conference:	July 2-5, 1996
(Proceedings will probably be published by Springer-Verlag.)

Further Information:
For bulletins on current status of the conference:
http://www.pst.informatik.uni-muenchen.de/konferenzen,
[email-masked]
Tools and Demos: [email-masked]
Registration: [email-masked]
Local Arrangements: [email-masked]
For subscribing to the AMAST'96 mailing list:
[email-masked]