Subject: Formal Methods for Open Object-based Distributed Systems

From: "Jose A. Manas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 1995 12:31:09 +0200

------- Forwarded Message

- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-

        First Announcement and Call for Papers

                        FMOODS'96
 Paris, France                                March 4-6, 1996

          First IFIP International workshop on

                     Formal Methods

      for Open Object-based Distributed Systems

- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=

OBJECTIVES

Object-based  Distributed Computing is being established as the most
pertinent basis for the support of large, heterogeneous computing and
telecommunications systems. Indeed, several important international
organisations,  such as ITU, ISO, OMG, TINA-C, etc. are defining similar
distributed object-based frameworks as a foundation for open
distributed computing.

The advent of Open Object-based Distributed Systems - OODS - brings new
challenges and opportunities for the use and development of formal
methods.  New architectures and system models are emerging (e.g., the
enterprise, information, computational and engineering viewpoints of
the ITU-T/ISO/IEC ODP Reference Model) which may require formal
notational support. Usual design issues such as specification,
verification, refinement, and testing need to take into account new
dimensions introduced by distribution and openness, such as quality of
service and dependability constraints, dynamic binding and
reconfiguration, consistency between multiple models and viewpoints,
etc. OODS is a challenging research context and a source of motivation
for semantical models of object-based systems and notations (e.g.
concurrent and distributed OO languages), for the evolution of
standardised formal description techniques (e.g. SDL, LOTOS, Estelle,
Z, ...), for the application and assessment of logic based approaches
(e.g. temporal logic, TLA, ...),  for better understanding and information
modeling of business requirements, and for the further development and
use of Object Oriented methodologies and tools (OMT, HOOD, Fusion,
...).

The objective of FMOODS is to provide an integrated forum for the
presentation of research in several related fields, and the exchange of
ideas and experiences in the topics concerned with the formal methods
support for Open Object-based Distributed Systems.

TOPICS

Topics of interest include but are not limited to:

   - formal models for object-based distributed computing
   - semantics of object-based distributed systems and programming languages
   - formal techniques in object-based and object-oriented specification,
     analysis and design
   - refinement and transformation of specifications
   - multiple viewpoint modelling and consistency between different
     models
   - formal techniques in distributed systems verification and testing
   - types, service types and subtyping
   - specification, verification and testing of quality of service
     constraints
   - formal methods and object life cycle

AN OPEN OBJECT-BASED DISTRIBUTED SYSTEMS WEEK IN PARIS, 4-8 March 96

   FMOODS'96 will take place as part of two subsequent workshops related
   to Open Object-based Distributed Systems and covering the topics
   of Formal Methods and QoS, respectively. FMOODS will be held 4-6 March 
   and will be followed immediately and in the same location by the QoS
   Workshop.

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

Gul Agha - U. of Illinois, Urbana, USA
Patrick Bellot - ENST, Paris, France
Howard Bowman, UKC, Kent, UK
Ed Brinksma, U. Twente, Netherlands
John Derrick, UKC, Kent, UK
Michel Diaz - LAAS-CNRS, Toulouse, France
Kokichi Futasugui - Jaist, Ishikawa, Japan
Reinhard Gotzhein - U. Kaiserslautern, Kaiserslautern, Germany 
Haim Kilov - Bellcore, Morristown, USA
Guy Leduc - U. of Liege, Liege, Belgium
Kathleen Milsted - FT/CNET, Issy-les-Moulineaux, France
Jan de Meer - GMD Fokus, Berlin, Germany
Elie Najm - ENST, Paris, France
Oscar Nierstrasz - U. of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Claudia Popien, RWTH Aachen, Aachen, Germany
Kerry Raymond - DSTC, Brisbane, Australia
Omar Rafiq - U. of Pau, Pau, France
Gerd Schuermann - GMD Fokus, Berlin, Germany
Jacob Slonim - IBM, Toronto, Canada
Jean-Bernard Stefani - FT/CNET, Issy-les-Moulineaux, France
Sebastiano Trigila - F. Ugo Bordoni, Roma, Italy
Juan Quemada - ETSI Telecomunicacion, Madrid, Spain

PROGRAM CHAIRS

     Elie NAJM                        Jean-Bernard STEFANI
     [email-masked]                 [email-masked]
     Tel: + 33 1 45 81 77 09          Tel: +33 1 45 29 59 87
     Fax: + 33 1 45 89 16 64          Fax: +33 1 45 29 66 04
     ENST                             CNET  France Telecom
     Networks Department              PAA/TSA
     46, Rue Barrault                 38-40 rue du general Leclerc
     75013 Paris, FRANCE              92131 Issy-Les-Moulineaux, FRANCE

EVALUATION AND PUBLICATION OF SUBMITTED PAPERS

Submitted manuscripts will be evaluated and selected for presentation
in the workshop. A copy of the proceedings will be handed out to
the participants at the workshop. The proceedings will also be published.
It is planned to publish a selection of the accepted papers as a special 
issue of an international journal. 

INSTRUCTIONS TO THE AUTHORS

Authors are invited to submit full original research papers, up to 16 
pages (including bibliography), 12 point, single spaced, including an 
informative abstract, names and affiliations of all authors, and a list 
of keywords facilitating the assignment of papers to referees.
Electronic submission is highly recommended, and ftp is preferred 
to e-mail.

IMPORTANT DATES

10 November 1995     Submission deadline
10 January  1996     Notification of acceptance
30 January  1996     Camera ready copy for participants proceedings due

FTP SUBMISSION

Manuscripts in plain (ASCII) text or PostScript format are 
welcome (possibly compressed with 'compress' or 'gzip'). Use anonymous FTP to 

       ftp.res.enst.fr    directory    "/incoming/fmoods96" 

using the last name of the contact person as a filename.
Note that files deposited in the submission directory can only be written 
once and cannot be read or deleted afterwards. After having downloaded
your manuscript file into submission directory, you should notify your 
submission by e-mail to:

             >>>  [email-masked]  <<<

Your notification e-mail should be in plain text (ASCII) 
and should include:
     - the title of your paper
     - the name of the authors and their institutions
     - a list of keywords
     - an abstract of your paper
     - the name and postal, fax and e-mail addresses of the contact person
     - the name and format of your submission file
Your submission and notification will be acknowledged.

E-MAIL SUBMISSION

Should ftp submission be impossible, you may choose to submit your paper
with electronic mail. Submissions should be made in two separate e-mails:
a Manuscript e-mail and a Notification e-mail. Send your Manuscript in 
postscript format  (possibly uuencoded and compressed with 'compress' or 
'gzip') to the following address: 

        >>>  [email-masked]  <<<

Send your Notification e-mail to:    

        >>>  [email-masked]   <<<

Your notification e-mail should be in plain text (ASCII) and 
should include:
   - the title of your paper
   - the name of the authors and their institutions
   - a list of keywords
   - an abstract of your paper
   - the name and postal, fax and e-mail addresses of the contact person
Your submission and notification will be acknowledged.

POSTAL SUBMISSION

Should electronic submission be impossible, please send 5 copies of your
manuscript to:

              Elie NAJM          
              ENST                             
              Networks Department             
              46, Rue Barrault                
              75013 Paris, FRANCE              

INQUIRIES

Should you need any organisational information, 
please send a message to:  [email-masked]

Should you have any scientific enquiries, please send a message to
one of the chairpersons: [email-masked] or [email-masked]

ORGANISATION COMMITTEE

Joubine DUSTZADEH - ENST, Paris, France
Arnaud FEVRIER - ENST, Paris, France
Frank OLSEN - ENST, Paris, France
Krimo NIMOUR - ENST, Paris, France
Philippe PRINDEVILLE - ENST, Paris, France

RELATED EVENTS

ICDP'96 IFIP/IEEE International Conference on Distributed Platforms 

Client/Server and Beyond: DCE, CORBA, ODP & Advanced Distributed Applications 
Dresden, Germany, February 27 - March 1, 1996.

FMOODS'96 will be immediately followed, in the same location, by the
4th International Workshop on QoS, Paris 6-8 March, 1996.

WWW

You can alternatively access an HTML version of the present call at:

                http://www.res.enst.fr/fmoods/fmoods96

------- End of Forwarded Message