Subject: 4th Int'l WS on Quality of Service

From: Andreas Vogel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 May 1995 17:16:03 +1000

Announcement and Call for Papers

Fourth International Workshop on Quality of Service

6 - 8 March, 1996

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
URL:	http://www.dstc.edu.au/AU/staff/andreas-vogel/html/cfp.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Objective and Scope

The Fourth International Workshop on Quality of Service (IW QoS) aims to
advance state of the art knowledge of quality of service (QoS) aspects of
multimedia services, real-time applications, communication and middleware
platforms, and system management. Contributions are invited addressing
innovative methods, tools and techniques to describe, model, evaluate and
analyse problem statements on negotiating, guaranteeing, measuring, controlling
or managing QoS in real systems.

The aim of the workshop is to bring together experts from the academic and
technical community as well as experts from the various standardization groups.
Furthermore the workshop should be viewed as an opportunity for participants to
compare and familiarise themselves with research directions and goals of
ongoing QoS projects from all over the world, in particular from Europe, North
America, Australia and Japan.

The Fourth International Workshop on Quality of Service is aligned with the
scope and objectives of the International IFIP Conference on Open Distributed
Processing (ICODP). The most recent ODP conference was held in 1995 in
Brisbane, Australia, and the next one will be held in 1997 in Toronto, Canada.
In order to keep the ODP community informed and to provide a scientific
platform focussed on particular aspects of distributed processing it has been
suggested to have workshops in between the two conferences. An Open
Object-Based Distributed Systems Week will be held in Paris, 4-8 March 1996,
featuring the two subsequent workshops, FMOODS'96 and 4th IW QoS, covering the
topics of Formal Methods and Quality of Service, respectively.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Areas of Interest

Papers are sought in all areas pertinent to quality of service which include,
but are not limited to:

   *  quality of service description and modelling
   *  quality of service analysis and evaluation
   *  quality of service negotiation and monitoring
   *  quality of service and distributed multimedia systems
   *  quality of service and communication protocols
   *  quality of service and operating systems
   *  quality of service and storage systems/databases
   *  quality of service and middleware platforms
   *  quality of service based management and configuration
   *  quality of service - practice and experience

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

History

The Fourth International Workshop on Quality of Service will form part of a
continuing series. The first workshop, held in May 1994 in Montreal, Canada,
was supported by the European RACE project `QoS TOPIC' and the Canadian CITR
project `Broadband Services'. The second workshop was organised within the
European RACE Conference on Integrated Services and Networks (IS&N) in
September 1994 in Aachen, Germany. The third workshop was held in February 1995
in Brisbane, Australia, in conjunction with the International IFIP Conference
on Open Distributed Processing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Organisers

Programme Co-Chairs:

     Jan de Meer, [email-masked]
     GMD Fokus, Berlin, Germany

     Andreas Vogel, [email-masked]
     DSTC, Brisbane, Australia

Programme Committee

     Gordon Blair, [email-masked]
     University of Lancaster, Lancaster, UK

     Richard Friedrich, [email-masked]
     Hewlett-Packard Company, Palo Alto, USA

     Michael Fry, [email-masked]
     University of Technology, Sydney, Australia

     John Holmes, [email-masked]
     Defence Research and Evaluation Agency, Portsmouth, UK

     Brigitte Kerherve, [email-masked]
     Universite du Quebec a Montreal, Montreal, Canada

     Elie Najm, [email-masked]
     Ecole Nationale Superieure des Telecommunications, Paris, France

     Jerry Rolia [email-masked]
     Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada

     James VanLoo, [email-masked]
     Sun Microsystems, Palo Alto, USA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submission

Contributions are expected either as papers or as position statements.

General remarks:

     Workshop language is English.

     Submission are expected in postscript or HTML format by
          email:
		send submission or URL to [email-masked]
          ftp:
		down load submission at ftp://ftp.dstc.edu.au/incoming/iwqos
          Submissions must include name and affiliation of the authors, a
          contact address (e-mail. postal and fax) of the main author, an
          abstract and keywords.

     Proceedings will be handed out to workshop participants.

Papers

Papers will be refereed by at least 3 international reviewers.
It is planned to publish accepted papers by an international publisher.

     page limit: 12 (12 point, single spaced, including figures and
     bibliography)
     submission: November 30th, 1995
     notification of acceptance: January 21st, 1996
     final version: February 9th, 1996

Position statements

The purpose of position statements is to provide a seed for debate and
discussion. The conference organisers encourage participants to present
suggestions for future directions and concerns about current developments.
Position statements will be reviewed by the programme committee.

     page limit: 3
     submission: January 14th, 1996
     notification of acceptance: January 28st, 1996
     final version: February 9th, 1996

Further information

For further information on IW QoS please contact [email-masked].

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Related events

An Open Object-Based Distributed Systems Week in Paris 4-8 March.

IW QoS will take place as part of two subsequent workshops related to Open
Object-based Distributed Systems and covering the topics of Formal Methods and
Quality of Service, respectively. IW QoS will be preceded by the First IFIP
International Workshop on Formal Methods for Open Object-based Distributed
Systems (FMOODS'96). FMOODS'96 will be held 4-6 March 1996 in the same location
as IW QoS.

ICDP'96 : IFIP/IEEE International Conference on Distributed Platforms

Client/Server and Beyond: DCE, CORBA, ODP & Advanced Distributed Applications
Dresden, Germany, February 27 - March 1, 1996
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------