Subject: PSTV'95 Program, Information and Registration

From: "Piotr Dembinski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 95 10:51:36 +0100

PSTV'95 
Fifteenth International Symposium on
PROTOCOL SPECIFICATION, TESTING AND VERIFICATION
Warsaw, Poland, 13 - 16 June 1995

Sponsored by IFIP WG 6.1 
With support from European Commission
____________________________________________________________
INFORMATION, PROGRAM AND REGISTRATION 

PSTV'95 information, registration form and program can be ftp'ed from 
ftp.ipipan.waw.pl, userid 'anonymous' and password email address, from 
the directory pub/konferencje/pstv95
____________________________________________________________
ABOUT THE SYMPOSIUM
____________________________________________________________
PSTV symposia have served for fifteen years as a premier forum for 
researchers and practitioners in industry and academia interested in theory 
and application of formal methods in specifying, testing and verifying 
communication protocols and services.  For the first time the PSTV 
Symposium is held in Central Europe. Hence it creates an ideal possibility 
for extending the international co-operation, in this very important domain 
of protocol engineering, to this and eastern part of the continent. Also, it 
offers a forum for presentation and promotion of research being done in 
this part of Europe. 

PSTV'95 is organized jointly by the Institute of Computer Science of the 
Polish Academy of Sciences (IPI PAN) and the Institute of 
Telecommunications of the Warsaw University of Technology (IT PW). 
The symposium Proceedings will be published in the IFIP series by 
Chapman & Hall. PSTV'95 starts with one day tutorials and continues with 
three days of technical presentations.

Symposium Co-chairpersons:
--------------------------
Piotr Dembinski                 Marek Sredniawa
IPI PAN                         IT PW
Ordona 21,                      Nowowiejska 15/19
01-237 Warsaw, Poland           00-665 Warsaw, Poland
Tel. +48 22 362841              Tel. +48 22 259820
Fax. +48 22 376564              Fax. +48 22 254950
E-mail: [email-masked]    E-mail: [email-masked]

Program Committee:
--------------------------
P. Amer (University of Delaware, USA), 
A. Blikle (Acad. of Sci., PL), 
G. von Bochmann (University of Montreal, CND), 
T. Bolognesi (CNUCE, I), 
E. Borcoci (University of Bucharest, R), 
E. Brinksma (University of Twente, NL), 
S. Budkowski (INT, F), 
W. Cellary (EFP, PL), 
S. Chanson (University of British Columbia, CND), 
G. Csopaki (University of Budapest, H), 
M. Diaz (LAAS, F), 
D. Hogrefe (University of Bern, CH), 
G. Holzmann (Bell Labs, USA), 
K. Inan (Middle East Techn. University, TR), 
P. Kritzinger (University of Cape Town, ZA), 
R. Lai (La Trobe University, AUS), 
G. Leduc (University of Liege, B), 
L. Logrippo (University of Ottawa, CND), 
J. Lubacz (University of Warsaw, PL), 
M. Malek (Humboldt University, D), 
J. de Meer (GMD, D), 
T. Mizuno (Shizuoka University, J), 
V. Nepomniashy (Acad. of Sci., RUS), 
J. Quemada (University of Madrid, S), 
O. Rafiq (University of Pau, F), 
H. Rudin (IBM Zurich, CH), 
W. Sobczak (University of Gdansk, PL), 
R. Tenney (University of Massachusetts, USA), 
M. Tienari (University of Helsinki, SF), 
K. Turner (University of Stirling, UK), 
S. Vuong (University of  British Columbia, CND).

Administrative Secretariat:
-----------------------------------
Ms. Ewa Gasiorowska
IPI PAN 
Ordona 21,
01-237 Warsaw, Poland
Tel. +48 22 362841, Fax. +48 22 376564
E-mail: [email-masked]

PSTV'95  PROGRAM

Tuesday, June 13
-----------------------

8:00-9:00       Registration

9:00-12:30      Tutorial I: 
                Formal design and implementation of high 
                speed multimedia protocols
                
                Michel Diaz, LAAS/CNRS, Toulouse

                First, the tutorial presents constraints that exist in  
                distributed multimedia systems and a general view at 
                high speed and multimedia networks. Then a formal       
                approach is proposed for representing synchronisation in 
                multimedia objects based on different Petri Net models 
                such as:Time and Hierarchical Time Stream Petri Nets. 
                Finally, a new concept of "partial order connection" is 
                presented and is shown to be a more adequate and general 
                solution for designing and implementing high speed      
                transfer multimedia protocols than usual connexion      
                oriented or connectionless protocols.

12:30-14:00     LUNCH

14:00-17:30     Tutorial II
                Formal Methods in Conformance Testing

                Finn Kristoffersen, Tele Danmark Research, Horsholm
                Marc Phalippou, France Telecom - CNET, Lannion
                Jan Tretmans, University of Twente, Enschede

                The emerging standard "Formal Methods in        
                Conformance Testing" defines a framework, independent 
                of any formal description technique, for conformance 
                testing based on formal specifications. An overview of 
                this framework is presented by showing how the FDTs 
                Estelle, LOTOS, and SDL fit within it. Concepts like 
                conformance to a formal specification, test generation, 
                fault model, and test selection, which are defined      
                abstractly within the framework, are applied to these   
                three FDTs.

18:00-20:00     WELCOME RECEPTION

Wednesday, June 14
----------------------------

8:00-8:45       Registration

8:45-9:00       Opening Remarks: P. Dembinski and M.  Sredniawa

9:00-10:30      Session 1: Specification & Verification: 
                           Time-dependent Analysis

                Simple On-the-fly Automatic Verification of Linear      
                Temporal Logic
                R. Gerth, Technical University Eindhoven, 
                The Netherland
                D. Peled, AT&T Bell Lab., USA
                M.Y. Vardi, Rice University, USA
                P. Wolper, Universite de Liege, Belgium

                Specifying Real-Time Requirements for SDL       
                Specifications - a Temporal Logic-Based Approach
                S. Leue, University of Berne, Switzerland

                A Temporal Reachability Analysis
                L. Cacciari, O. Rafiq, University of Pau, France

10:30-11:00     BREAK

11:00-13:00     Session 2: Specification of Concurrent Systems

                Invited Talk: "True" versus "Artificial" Concurrency
                Antoni Mazurkiewicz, Academy of Sciences, Poland

                Action refinement and fairness are discussed for        
                concurrent systems with their behavior represented either 
                by a set of action sequences ("artificial" concurrency  
                representation), or by a family of partially ordered sets 
                ("true" concurrency representation). The behavior of a 
                refined system is compared with the refinement of the 
                original system behavior, for both representations. Then, 
                it is argued that there is no need for fairness notion in the 
                "true" concurrency framework.

                On Compositionality and Petri Nets in Protocol  
                Engineering
                N. A. Anisimov, Academy of Sciences, Russia
                M. Koutny, University of Newcastle, United Kingdom

                Composition of LOTOS Specifications
                M. Steen, H. Bowman, J. Derrick, University of Kent, 
                United Kingdom

13:00-14:30     LUNCH

14:30-16:00     Session 3: Testing

                Principles for validation of abstract test suites specified in 
                concurrent TTCN
                M. Toro, K. Tarnay, KFKI Budapest, Hungary

                An Approach for Testing Distributed Software Systems
                A. Ulrich, S. T. Chanson, University of Technology,     
                Hong Kong

                Modeling Basic LOTOS by FSMs for Conformance    
                Testing
                Q.M. Tan, A. Petrenko, G.v. Bochmann, University of 
                Montreal, Canada

16:00-16:30     BREAK

16:30-18:00     Session 4: Specification & Verification:
                           Temporal Approach

                The Specification and Verification of an Experimantal 
                ATM Signalling Protocol
                D. Barnard, Siemens AG, Germany
                S. Crosby, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom

                Re-Usable Verification Elements for High-Speech         
                Transfer Protocol Configurations
                P. Herrmann, H. Krumm, University of Dortmund,  
                Germany

                An Algebraic-Temporal Specification of a CSMA/CD-
                Protocol
                M. Jmaiel, TU Berlin, Germany

Thursday, June 15
------------------------

9:00-10:30      Session 5: Validation & Testing

                Validation, Verification and Implementation of Timed 
                Protocols using AORTA
                S. Bradley, W. Henderson, D. Kendall, A. Robson,        
                University of Northumbria, United Kingdom

                Validation in Context
                L. Heerink, E. Brinksma, University of Twente, 
                The Netherland

                Characterizing Termination in LOTOS via Testing
                D. Frutos, M. Nunez, University of Madrid, Spain
                J. Quemada, Polytechnic of Madrid, Spain

10:30-13:30     BREAK

                This year, Corpus Christi, a holy day solemnly celebrated 
                by Catholics in Poland, falls on Thursday, June 15. Big 
                crowds attend colourful outdoor processions organized by 
                churches all over Poland. A central ceremony takes place 
                in the streets of the old part of Warsaw in the proximity 
                of the Symposium venue. The organizers decided to break 
                the conference to give an opportunity for participants to 
                have a look at this, specifically Polish, old custom.  

13:30-14:30     LUNCH

14:30-16:00     Session 6: Specification & Analysis

                Quantified reduced views of state graphs using  
                Markovian and timed observational equivalence
                K. Drira, LAAS/CNRS Toulouse, France
                Y. Atamna, West Virginia University, USA
                G. Juanole,  LAAS/CNRS Toulouse, France

                SDL and Petri Net Performance Analysis of               
                Communicating Systems
                F. Bause, P. Kemper, University of Dortmund, Germany
                H. Kabutz, P. Kritzinger, University of Cape Town, 
                South Africa

                On the Introduction of Gate Typing in E-LOTOS
                H. Garavel, INRIA Rhone-Alpes, France

16:00-16:30     BREAK

16:30-18:00     Panel Discussion

19:00-23:00     BANQUET

Friday, June 16
--------------------

9:00-10:30      Session 7: Verification: Model Checking

                An Analysis of Bitstate Hashing
                G.J. Holzmann, AT&T Bell Lab., USA

                Using Asynchronous Buchi Automata for Efficient         
                Automatic Verification of Concurrent Systems
                D. Peled, AT&T Bell Lab., USA
                W. Penczek, University of Eindhoven, The Netherland  
                and Academy of Sciences, Poland

                A Method to Build Symbolic Representations of LOTOS 
                Specifications
                R. Sisto, Polytechnic of Torino, Italy

10:30-11:00     BREAK

11:00-13:00     Session 8: High Speed / Multimedia

                Invited Talk: Design, specification and verification of a 
                N-connection dynamic membership for cooperative         
                groups 
                Michel Diaz, LAAS/CNRS Toulouse, France

                A model for basic cooperation, based on information     
                sharing between agents, is introduced. The model allows 
                the users to define dynamic cooperative groups whose 
                structure changes in time. A communication service and 
                an associated protocol, managing cooperative dynamic N-
                connection group, is then presented. The protocol has 
                been verified using VAL, a multi-agent environment 
                based on Petrri nets and then translated into Estelle for 
                automatic implementation using EDT (Estelle     
                Development Tool). 

                On the Suitability of Estelle for Multimedia Systems
                S. Fisher, University of Mannheim, Germany

                Protocol Analysis and Verification Methods, Application 
                to the Xpress Transfer Protocol 4.0
                O. Catrina, Polytechnic of Bucarest, Romania

13:00-14:30     LUNCH

14:30-16:00     Session 9: Towards Implementation

                PARES - a Portable Parallel Estelle Compiler
                R. Plato, T. Held, University of Mgdeburg, Germany
                H. Koenig, Cottbus University of Technology, Germany

                A Methodology to the Implementation of Distributed 
                Systems in Hardware from a Formal Description
                L. Pirmez, A.C.P. Pedroza, A.C. Mesquita, University of 
                Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

                Hardware Specification Generated from Estelle
                J. Wytrebowicz, INT Evry, France, and  Warsaw   
                University of Technology, Poland

16:00           Closing

GENERAL INFORMATION

Venue
---------
The Symposium will take place in conference rooms of Palac Staszica 
(Palace of Staszic) - an XIX century, classical style, building belonging to 
the Polish Academy of Sciences and located in the center of Warsaw on an 
old route crossing the town from North to South along the Vistula river. A 
Kopernik monument in front of the palace is a characteristic point in 
Warsaw.

The address is:

Palac Staszica
ul. Nowy Swiat 72
00-330 Warszawa

Registration
-------------
Tutorials only: tutorial sessions, tutorial notes, coffee breaks and lunch.

Conference only: conference sessions, conference proceedings, coffee 
breaks, lunches, welcome reception, and banquet

Full: tutorial and conference sessions, tutorial notes and conference 
proceedings, coffee breaks, lunches, welcome reception, and banquet

Early registration: Early fee deadline is May 20, 1995. 

Payment: Registration fees can be paid either by a Banker's Cheque payable 
to "IPI PAN PSTV'95 (personal cheques will not be accepted) or by a bank 
transfer to:

BPH Krakow XIV O/W-wa, Al. Jerozolimskie 7, 00-495 Warsaw, Poland
Account no. 320007-2408

Registration fees from outside Poland are to be paid in US Dollars only. At 
site you can pay in cash (also in Polish currency 'zloty') or by major credit 
cards (Visa, MasterCard, EuroCard or Diners Club). However, paying by 
card you will be charged additional 5% of bank commission.

Cancellation: Cancellation received later than June 5 will be charged US$ 
50 handling fee. 

Accommodation
----------------------
A number of rooms have been reserved in different category hotels, all of 
them within walking distance from the conference venue (Palac Staszica). 
All rooms are with bath or shower.

Please indicate your accommodation preferences completing the 
Registration and Accommodation Form (you may indicate other 
preferences than listed). Requests will be honored in the order received. If 
your choice is not available, we will make an effort to find a comparable 
accommodation.

Payment: Accommodation charges will be paid directly to the hotel by each 
participant. It can be paid by cash (in Polish zloty).  Most hotels accept 
major credit cards as well. Detailed information will be sent separately to 
each registered participant.

Transportation
--------------------

Warsaw  is easily reachable from all parts of the world and by all means of 
transportation. There are several direct air connections from many cities in 
Europe, USA and elsewhere. It takes some 20 minutes by a shuttle bus 
(recommended) or taxi to get from the airport to the city center.

Visas
-------

Citizens of the USA and most European countries do not need any visa. 
Please check with your local Polish consulate if you need a visa.

Financial Support (concerns only participants from Central and Eastern 
Europe)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Due to a special grant obtained from European Commission, the organizers 
are able to offer a number of stipends to enable participation in the 
PSTV'95 Symposium for persons from Central and Eastern Europe. The 
stipends, in principle, serve to cover the registration fee. Other expenses 
can be covered only as possible. Those willing to apply for such a stipend 
should complete the special application form and send it together with their 
registration as soon as possible. Priority is reserved for those who have 
their paper accepted.
_______________________ cut here _________________________

REGISTRATION AND ACCOMMODATION FORM

Please complete this form (type or print in capitals) and return it by mail, 
fax or e-mail to

PSTV'95
Institute of Computer Science of PAS
Ordona 21
O1-237 Warsaw
Poland

Tel: +48 22 362841
Fax: +48 22 376564 
E-mail: [email-masked]

Early registration deadline is by May 20, 1995. If you register by e-mail, be 
sure to mail or fax a copy of the form together with a confirmation of your 
payment.
___________________________________________________________

Title :                 ( ) Prof.       ( ) Dr  ( ) Mr  ( ) Ms  

Last Name:

First Name:

Affiliation:

Address:

Tel:                    Fax:                    E-mail:

Your identification as it should appear on your badge:

Registration fees (all fees in US$)
--------------------------------------------
                        Before May 20, 1995     After May 20, 1995

( ) Tutorial:           US$ 100                 US$ 120
( ) Conference:         US$ 320                 US$ 370
( ) Full:               US$ 360                 US$ 420
( ) Additional banquet              US$ 40

Total amount sent:      US$ 

Full registration includes tutorials, symposium sessions, proceedings, 
tutorial notes, welcome reception, coffee breaks, luncheons, and banquet.

Method of payment:
----------------------------
( )  I enclose a copy of a bank transfer to: 
        BPH Krakow XIV O/W-wa, 
        Al. Jerozolimskie 7, 00-495 Warsaw, Poland
        Account Number:  320007-2408    

        for the total amount of US$             net of bank charges

( )  I enclose a Banker's Cheque payable to "IPI PAN PSTV'95" 

        for the total amount of US$             net of bank charges

( )  I will pay at site:

        by cash ( )     by VISA ( )     by MasterCard ( )    by Diners Club ( )

If paid by card, I agree to be charged additional 5% of bank commission.

Accommodation (please indicate your choice):
--------------------------------------------------------------
                                ( ) Single room         ( ) Double 
room
( ) Hotel  ****                      US$ 100                 US$ 120
( ) Hotel  **                        US$  40                 US$  60
( ) Hotel  *                         US$  25                 US$  40

Date of arrival:                        Date of departure:

All hotels are within walking distance from the symposium venue. All 
rooms are with bath or shower. Requests will be honoured in the order 
received. If your choice is not available, we will make an effort to find a 
comparable accommodation. You will pay directly to the hotel. All prices 
are approximate.
___________________________________________________________

APPLICATION FOR A FINANCIAL SUPPORT 
(concerns only participants from Central and Eastern Europe)

Title :                 ( ) Prof.       ( ) Dr  ( ) Mr  ( ) Ms  

Last Name:

First Name:

Affiliation:

Address:

Tel:                    Fax:                    E-mail:

( )  I am applying for a financial support to cover the PSTV'95 registration 
fees.

( )  With this support I will be able to participate in the Symposium

( )  I absolutely need an additional support to be able to participate in the 
Symposium (indicate and justify the amount needed)

............................................................................
............................................................................
............................................................................
............................................................................
_______________________________________________________________________

______________________________________________________________________
                     
                        Prof. dr Piotr Dembinski
                     Institute of Computer Science
                       Polish Academy of Sciences
                    Ordona 21, 01-237 Warsaw, Poland

              Tel: (48) (22) 362841, Fax: (48) (22) 376564
                      E-mail [email-masked]
______________________________________________________________________