Subject: FORTE'95 Call for Papers

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Ouimet)
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 1995 17:10:58 -0400

There are 2 conferences announcement in this message:
First is FORTE'95, and then at the end "Workshop on PROMELA/SPIN" which is held
just before FORTE'95 in Montreal also.

==============================================================================

                        Call for Papers

                           FORTE'95

             The 8th International IFIP Conference on
                   FORMAL DESCRIPTION TECHNIQUES
        for Distributed Systems and Communications Protocols
          Montreal (Quebec), Canada, 17-20 October 1995

OBJECTIVE AND SCOPE

FORTE'95 will address Formal Description Techniques (FDTs) applicable to
Distributed Systems such as Estelle, Lotos, SDL, ASN.1, Z, Automata,
Logics, Process, Algebras, etc., and will include industrial applicability
to Protocols and Distributed Systems. The conference will be a forum for
presentation of the state of the art in theory, application, tools and
industrialization of (FDTs) and will provide an excellent orientation for
newcomers. Research papers and industrial usage reports as well as
proposals for tutorials (advanced technology seminars), poster displays and
tool demonstrations are solicited. Topics of interests include (but are not
restricted to) the following areas:

        -  FDT-based software engineering
        -  Design and implementation
        -  Methodologies and architectures
        -  Verification and validation
        -  Comparative analyses of FDTs
        -  Testing
        -  Extensions of FDTs
        -  Tools and tool support
        -  Real-time and probability aspects
        -  Practical experience and case studies
        -  Examples and analyses of formal descriptions
        -  Corporate strategic and financial consequences of FDT use.

FORTE'95 will be sponsored by IFIP WG6.1. It will start with one day of
tutorials and advanced technology seminars on 17 October 1995 and will
continue with three days of technical presentations. Tool presentations and
poster displays will be offered throughout all four days of FORTE'95.

IMPORTANT DATES

30 April 1995           Submission deadline
15 July 1995            Notification of acceptance
30 August 1995          Camera ready copy for participants proceedings due

CONFERENCE CO-CHAIRS
        G. v. Bochmann, R. Dssouli and O. Rafiq

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

P. Amer (Univ. of Delaware, USA), T. Bolognesi (CNUCE, Italy), J. Bowen
(Univ. of Oxford, UK), E. Brinksma (Univ. of Twente, Netherlands), A.
Cavalli (INT, France), S.T. Chanson (Univ. of Science and Technology, Hong
Kong), J-P. Courtiat (LAAS, France), P. Dembinski (Academy of Science,
Poland), J. deJMeer (GMD FOKUS, Germany), M. Ferguson (INRS, Canada), R.
Gotzhein (Univ. of Kaiserslautern, Germany), M. Gouda (Univ. of Texas,
Austin, USA), R. Groz (CNET, France), D. Hogrefe (Univ. of Bern,
Switzerland), Y. Hirakawa (NTT, Japan), G. Holzmann (AT&T, USA), T. Kato
(KDD, Japan), L. Kovacs (CAI, Hungaria), J. Kroon (PTT Research,
Netherlands), G. Leduc (Univ. of Lige, Belgium), L. Logrippo (Univ. of
Ottawa, Canada), G. Luo (BNR, Canada), L. Marshall (BNR, Canada), E. Najm
(ENST, France), A. Obaid (UQAH, Canada), K. Parker (Telecom Research Lab.,
Australia), A. Petrenko (Univ. of Montreal, Canada), J. Quemada (Technical
Univ. of Madrid, Spain), S. V. Raghavan (IIT, Madras, India), H. Rudin
(IBM, Switzerland), K

SUBMISSION POLICY

Solicited are:

Full original research papers and industrial usage reports, 5 copies, up to
16 pages (including bibliography), 12 point, single spaced, including an
informative abstract as well as names and affiliations of all authors, and
a list of keywords facilitating the assignment of papers to referees. A
cover letter naming a contact author (including postal and email address)
and indicating the preferred category (research paper or industrial usage
report) in which the paper should be considered, is required. The cover
letter should also state that the paper has not been presented in any
language at another conference nor is it currently being considered by
another conference or by a journal. Authors may propose a list of Program
Committee members whom they consider to be particularly qualified to review
their submission. Only those papers presented by an author during FORTE'95
will be included in the final proceedings which will be published by the
official publisher of IFIP WG6.1.

Proposals for tool demonstrations (including hardware and software
requirements), poster displays, tutorials and advanced technology seminars.

All submissions should be sent to:

Prof. Rachida Dssouli
Departement d'IRO
Universite de Montreal
Pavillon des sciences mathematiques et informatiques
C.P. 6128 Succursale Centre-Ville
(2920 Chemin de la Tour)
Montreal, (Quebec)
Canada H3C 3J7
Tel. : (514) 343 7599, Fax : (514) 343 5834
Email: [email-masked]

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:

Lucie Levesque
Departement d'IRO
Universite de Montreal
Pavillon des sciences mathematiques et informatiques
2900, blvd Edouard-Montpetit
(2920 Chemin de la Tour)
Montreal, (Quebec)
Canada H3T 1J4
Tel. : (514) 343 6111 (ext. 3520), Fax : (514) 343 5834
Email: [email-masked]

======================================================================

                 Workshop on PROMELA/SPIN
                (preliminary announcement)

        October 16th, Montreal, QC (just before FORTE'95)

        SPIN is a reachability analysis tool designed for the
        general verification of distributed systems.  First
        made available publicly in 1991, a completely new version
        new version has recently been released.  SPIN is used
        both for teaching and for industrial applications.
        It has inspired many other tools in various ways.

        This workshop aims at bringing together the community
        of users and researchers interested in SPIN as a tool,
        as well as an experimentation or a research vehicle.
        It will be an opportunity to discuss the current status
        of the tool, and the evolution of SPIN.

        We have identified the following areas of interest for
        this workshop:
        - bottlenecks in the practical application of verification
          technology and possible solutions that could be adopted
          in tools such as SPIN
        - effective methods for, and practical experience with,
          the modeling verification of large systems with SPIN
        - algorithmic improvements that should be considered
        - new types of verification
        - integration of SPIN with other tools, such as theorem
          provers, hardware design tools, code generators etc.
        - a panel on possible extensions of SPIN

        Further suggestions are most welcome.

        Participants are invited to present a position statement
        to be presented and discussed at the workshop.

        Workshop Organizer:
                INRS-Te'le'communications
        All Correspondance:
               [email-masked]

-- 
Daniel Ouimet	Pavillon Math-Info, bureau 2227	[email-masked]
Universite de Montreal, Dept. IRO. C.P. 6128, succursale Centre-Ville
Montreal (Quebec) H3C 3J7, CANADA   (514) 343-6111 ext. 3506