From: Marius Hancu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 1995 01:32:41 -0500

Dear Colleague:

This is just a reminder that the deadline for paper submission for
this symposium is February 15th. 

Please propagate and post as wide as possible. 
You and your colleagues would be most welcome to participate.

Regards,

Marius Hancu
-----------------------------cut--------------------------------------

        *---------------------------------------------------*
        |                                                   |
        | High Performance Computing Symposium'95 (HPCS'95) |
        |                                                   |
        | July 10-12 1995, Montreal, Canada                 |
        |                                                   |
        | First Announcement and Call for Participation     |
        |                                                   |
        *---------------------------------------------------*

High performance computing is key to solving today's most challenging
computational problems such as advanced numerical simulations,
large-scale CFD, 3D animation, interactive imaging, large network
optimization, complex drug design, genome analysis, massive data
handling, complex commercial applications, etc. These applications
require enormous computational power, massive memories and fast
communication media using state-of-the-art technology. At the same
time, the ever increasing complex hardware must be made usable through
advanced software, including sophisticated but easy-to-use compilers
and performance visualization tools.

High Performance Computing Symposium'95 (HPCS'95) is inviting
specialists from various fields involved in high performance computing
to exchange their results, experiences and ideas. These include
engineers, scientists and users of parallel computers, parallel
computer developers/vendors and computer scientists. Technical paper
sessions, panel discussions and a vendor exhibit will be organized in
such a way as to promote synergy between the disciplines.

This conference is being organized, this time, by the Centre de
recherche informatique de Montreal (CRIM) under the sponsorship of
Super*Can, the Canadian association for high performance computing and
communication. It is the continuation of  previously held
Supercomputing Symposia that have taken place annually in Canada since
1987. In 1994, the conference was held in Toronto and in 1993
in Calgary.

HPCS'95 will be held in Montreal, at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel, from
July 10th to July 12th, 1995.

TOPICS OF INTEREST

Suitable topics for HPCS'95 include, but are not restricted to, the
following:

High-performance computing: systems and tools
	- heterogeneous/cluster computing (NOWs)
	- programming/execution models
	- compilers and tools
	- operating systems (parallel I/Os)

High-performance communications: methods and applications
	- low-level communication libraries
	- ATM networks for high performance computing
	- parallel communication software
	- network simulation/optimization

Numerical modeling and methods
	- computational fluid dynamics
	- computational chemistry and physics
	- weather/climate modeling and environmental studies
	- industrial numerical applications

Parallel imaging and visualization
	- GIS
	- medical imaging
	- virtual reality/animation
	- solid modeling

Parallel databases, non-numerical algorithms and applications
	- database languages and compilers
	- parallel AI
	- combinatorial optimization (genetics)
	- commercial applications (data mining)

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

F. Andre (Irisa - Rennes, France)
M. Annaratone (Digital - Maynard, USA)
C. Baru (IBM Toronto Labs - Toronto, Canada)
L. Bauwens (U. of Calgary, Calgary, Canada)
F. Bodin (Irisa - Rennes, France)
U. Bruening (GMD - Berlin, Germany)
B. Chaib-Draa (Laval U. - Quebec, Canada)
T. Crainic (CRT - Montreal, Canada)
M. Dayde (ENSEEIHT-IRIT - Toulouse, France)
R. Duquette (IREQ - Varennes, Canada)
P. Feautrier (U. de Versailles - Paris, France)
M. Feeley (U. de Montreal - Montreal, Canada)
D. Gannon (Indiana U. - Indiana, USA)
G. R. Gao (McGill U. - Montreal, Canada)
B. Goulard (U. de Montreal - Montreal, Canada)
W. Habashi (Concordia U. and CERCA - Montreal, Canada)
H. Hum (Concordia U. - Montreal, Canada)
L. Mason (INRS - Montreal, Canada)
S. Miguet (LIP - Lyon, France)
R. Noumeir (ETS - Montreal, Canada)
B. O'Farrell (IBM - Toronto, Canada)
N. Paris (Hyperparallel - Paris, France)
Y. Robert (LIP - Lyon, France)
J.-F. Rotge (U. de Montreal - Montreal, Canada)
Y. Savaria (E. Polytechnique - Montreal, Canada)
A. Schaffer (Rice - Houston, USA)
A. Singh (U. of Waterloo - Waterloo, Canada)
A. Skorek (UQTR - Trois-Rivieres, Canada)
S. Thomas (RPN - Dorval, Canada)
B. Tourancheau (LIP - Lyon, France)
G. Vezina (CRDV - Quebec, Canada)
G. T. Vuong (HQ - Montreal, Canada)

All the information related to the conference may be accessed via
anonymous ftp at ftp.crim.ca, in the directory /apar/public/HPCS95, or
on the World Wide Web at http://www.CRIM.CA:80/Domaines_Services/APAR/
which contains a link to the call for papers.

HPCS'95 RESEARCH PAPERS

Authors should submit three copies of their full paper by February 
15th., 1995. Papers should not exceed 15 pages in length, single 
spaced, 12pt, including figures and references. Papers will be 
selected according to their scientific merit and the quality of their 
presentation. In particular, multi-disciplinary papers addressing 
several of the above-mentioned topics are encouraged.
Papers must be sent to the following address:

Dr. V. Van Dongen 
Centre de recherche informatique de Montreal
1801 McGill College Avenue, suite 800
H3A 2N4, Montreal, PQ, Canada
e-mail: [email-masked]
Tel:  	(514) 398-5404
Fax: 	(514) 398-1244

Important deadlines:
	- Paper submission due February 15th 1995.
	- Notification of acceptance by April 15th 1995.
	- Camera-ready papers due May 15th 1995.

HPCS'95 FORUMS/ROUNDTABLES

If you want an occasion for debating with your peers the issues of 
today's high-performance computing, this is the a great place to 
make a contribution. Some of the subjects we have in mind at this 
point in time:
- technology transfer (from research to real world)
- network-based applications
- education

However, if you feel like suggesting other areas of debate (and/or 
chairing a roundtable on a new subject) please feel free to suggest 
them, by February 15, 1995 to:

Julian Lebensold
Centre de recherche informatique de Montreal
1801 McGill College Avenue, suite 800
H3A 2N4, Montreal, PQ, Canada
e-mail: [email-masked]
Tel: 	(514) 398-5406
Fax: 	(514) 398-1244 

HPCS'95 INDUSTRIAL PRESENTATIONS

This stream/track will allow the presentation of industrial 
applications, industrial success stories, reports on centers of 
industrial R & D, and related matters. Please send abstracts, by April 
15th, 1995, to: 

Marius Hancu
Centre de recherche informatique de Montreal
1801 McGill College Avenue, suite 800
H3A 2N4, Montreal, PQ, Canada
e-mail: [email-masked]
Tel: 	(514) 398-5561
Fax:	(514) 398-1244 

HPCS'95 VENDOR EXHIBITS AND PRESENTATIONS

These paired activities will give manufacturers and vendors of 
products related to the topics of the symposium (hardware and 
software, supercomputers, networking and telecommunication 
products, educational software, etc.) the opportunity to explain and 
demonstrate their newest products. Topics of interest for 
presentations include, but are not limited to, descriptions, 
comparisons, and/or evaluations of existing commercial systems. 
Exhibits will permit vendors to display their products in an 
informal setting. Companies are encouraged to participate in both 
events. Please send an abstract of your presentation, by April 15th 
to:

Marius Hancu
Centre de recherche informatique de Montreal
1801 McGill College Avenue, suite 800
H3A 2N4, Montreal, PQ, Canada
e-mail: [email-masked]
Tel: 	(514) 398-5561
Fax:	(514) 398-1244 

IMPORTANT DATES

February 15, 1995	
	Research papers due
	Forum suggestions due

April 15, 1995	
	Notification of acceptance of research papers
	Industrial presentation abstracts due
	Vendor presentation abstracts due

May 15, 1995	
	Camera-ready research papers due

July 10, 1995	HPCS'95

ENJOYING THE SYMPOSIUM IN MONTREAL AND THE QUEEN ELIZABETH HOTEL

Montreal, a multicultural metropolis of over 3 million, is at its peak
excitement and flair during summer. Just before the symposium, the
International Jazz festival fills the streets with over 100,000 people
every night. The European and French flavor of this city are
unmistakable, from the old buildings of the Vieux Port (Old Harbour),
with over 300 years of history, to basilicas such as Notre Dame, Mary
Queen of the World or St-Joseph's Oratory. Mont Royal (popularly known
simply as the mountain) looks directly into the Saint Lawrence River.
Throngs of people fill the Vieux port at this time of the year to
watch the street performers day and night, to taste the great local
food, or to enjoy the stroll through the maze of the old streets or
along the river. The Queen Elizabeth Hotel, is centrally located,
close to the hub of Montreal nightlife on Crescent St., to the popular
promenade of St. Catherine St. or to the elegance of Sherbrooke St.
Direct shuttle buses connect the hotel to the major airports of the
city, Dorval and Mirabel.